I originally shared this pair of shorts back in this post. I used the Made Kid Shorts pattern which I used again to create this PR&P look because it's a great basic shorts pattern.
Start with a pair of shorts that is finished except for the hem. The length of the cuffed shorts will be the same as the length of the unfinished shorts so make sure that you are happy with the this length before you continue.
1. Cut 2 pieces of fabric 3" long for the cuffs. The width should be equal to the circumference of the bottom of your shorts +1"
2. Place the cuffs right sides together and sew along the short ends with a 1/2" seam.
3. Place the cuff piece inside the leg with the right side of the cuff facing the wrong side of the leg. Sew the legs to the cuff with a 1/2" seam. Trim the seam to 1/4" and finish with zigzag/overcast stitch or serge the seams. The left leg is shown pinned in the picture below. The right leg shows the correct way of placing the pieces together. If you are using a directional print for the cuffs, you should be sewing the bottom of the print to the bottom edge of the shorts.
4. Pull the cuffs out of the legs and press seam well. Fold the bottom edge up 1/2" and press. Although it is not shown in the picture below, you should finish the bottom edge to prevent fraying in the future.
5. Fold up the cuff as shown in the picture below. No seams should show at the bottom edge of the shorts as long as the cuff is not folded up too much.
6. Sew in the ditch along the side seams to keep the cuff from unrolling and you're done!