As I stated back in my first Sew It All series round up post, Mae needs more dresses since she only has one, and people at church are starting to wonder! My favorite thing about sewing dresses is that I don't have to make sure that they match anything else. Or, in other words, I can use any fabric I want!
For this dress I chose Nani Iro Pocho double gauze in Teal. I used double gauze one other time, and it was one of my favorite fabrics ever to sew! Plus it rarely needs to be ironed which is always a plus ;) After I chose the fabric, I moved on to choosing a pattern, which was not quite as easy. I really wasn't sure what I wanted, and nothing was really appealing to me from my existing pattern collection, so I started with a Japanese pattern basic bodice (used for this dress) and made a few modifications. And by a few, I mean that I changed everything! I changed it to front opening, added length to the bodice, added facings, changed the shape and length of the sleeve, and pleated the skirt rather than gathering it. In other words, I didn't keep anything from the original pattern ;)
My favorite modification is the sleeves. I added 3" to the width, and then rather than gathering the cap, I made tiny inverted pleats. It took 12 pleats for each sleeve. I probably won't use this method again since it took longer than the entire rest of the dress, but it was fun to try it once! And I love the look since it takes in the fullness without adding a true puff sleeve, which is not really my favorite kind of sleeve anyway.
The bottom of the sleeve is finished with a double cased elastic band with a 1/2" ruffle. It kind of mimics the look of shirring without having to change every single setting on my sewing machine, so it's 100% better than shirring in my mind :)
Take a closer look at the snaps - each snap is covering a dot that is exactly the same color. I would love to say that I planned that, but the truth is it was totally a coincidence :)
Nani Iro Double Gauze
Snaps - Kamsnaps