Tuesday, April 15, 2014

close ... but not quite

This tunic turned out nothing like I expected, but I thought I would share anyway :)  I was originally going for this look, but a runaway serger (that's my story and I'm sticking with it!) and not enough length for a proper tunic resulted in this instead!


I really disliked sewing the side panels on this dress.  Tight curves that curve in opposite directions are never easy to sew together.  And then on top of that, I ended up catching the top of the bodice while serging the curved seams and had to improvise the shoulder design to cover my not so little oops!


Once I finally got the tunic put together I realized I didn't like the length so I added a bottom band making it look even less like the original inspiration.  Oh well, it's still cute on Mae and it stood up to an entire day of playing outside.  What more can I really ask for :)


Materials:
Solid - Kaufman Essex yarn dyed linen in black
Print - DS Quilts Collection for Fabric Traditions from Joann's

9 comments :

  1. Maybe not the idea you started with, but still awfully cute! I like your color palette. -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Even though the tunic didn't quite work out, I love the colors too :)

      Delete
  2. I also really like the colour combo! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nat! It seems that I did at least get the colors right :)

      Delete
  3. Still looks pretty cool - love the shape and side pleats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too, but I really loved the streamlined look of the original :)

      Delete
  4. Forget your inspiration teri, yours looks so much better... in everyway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like your tunic better than the original, Teri. Never mind that you made mistakes along the way. That's how we learn. The band at the bottom balances the grey middle panel. A super cute little dress!!!

    ReplyDelete