Sunday, February 2, 2014

pattern review - tuileries dress by sewing in no mans land

Last week I pattern tested the Tuileries Dress designed by Kelly from Sewing in No Mans Land.  If you haven't visited her blog, you really need to go take a look.  Although there are there tons of sewing tutorials (and I mean tons!), the real stars of the blog are Kelly's kids and the phenomenal pictures of some of the places she and her family have lived.  In fact, her pictures are so good that I felt really pathetic sending her pictures of Mae taken in a local shopping mall!  But our local scenery in Michigan is pretty much dreary, grey and frozen at the moment, so the photography locations are quite limited :)


One of my favorite parts of the Tuileries Dress is the pleated skirt.  I gather dresses way more often then I pleat them, and I have no idea why!  I really dislike gathering and pleats look so much more finished anyway.  The pattern also calls for two little pleats on the bodice which is a nice little extra touch.  You can't see that feature too well in my pictures, but with a different fabric I'm sure it would be more noticeable :)


I made the size 2 which fits exactly as I would expect.  The dress is a bit big at the moment but should fit perfectly this summer.  Fortunately just in time for Mae to grow into her kelly green and navy shoes that Grandma bought her :)


I did have to modify the pattern slightly since I didn't have a zipper and the arctic blast temperatures for the last week (along with my kids not having school!) prevented me from getting to the store.  Since I originally cut the pattern for a zipper, I couldn't just overlap the back so I had to add a button placket to the entire length of the dress.  I referenced my own tutorial (found here) since for the life of me I couldn't remember whether I hemmed the dress or added the placket first.  Sometimes I think it's good that I have a blog just so I don't have to rely on my memory ... it's so much easier just to go look it up :)


I also added the navy band for contrast.  All I did was treat it as part of the skirt while attaching the skirt and bodice together.  And then I added navy buttons to complete the look and called it done.  The dress really was easy to sew and I love the method of attaching the skirt to the bodice which gave both the outside and the inside a very polished finish with no topstitching.  You really should try it for yourself!


Materials:
Bodice - Embroidered cotton from Joann's (several years ago)
Skirt - Robert Kaufman Essex linen blend in kelly
Navy band - Stretch poplin from Joann's
Buttons - Joann's
Snaps - Kamsnaps

14 comments :

  1. I love your version of this dress! I'm definitely going to buy this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh yes love the dress and fabric combinations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your choice of colours look great. Fantastic fabric and finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take much credit for my color choices ... I went to the mall the other day and about half the stores were featuring green and navy :)

      Delete
  4. Ok, so I love the button placket! Going to have to try that--I almost put buttons on mine too, but was able to shorten a zipper and make it work by moving the stop at the bottom and ripping out some teeth!!! Love the colors too--great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't planning on using a button placket, but arctic weather made going to the store to get a zipper just about impossible!

      Delete
  5. That color combo is just beautiful!! I love that dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a big fan of green and navy. It's so preppy :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful colors and I love the button placket in back! -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Although it was totally unplanned, I ended up loving it too!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful and classy !

    ReplyDelete