I'll just come right out and say it ... I'm a big fat coward. I'm deathly afraid of knits :) I kept a few of my maternity clothes after Mae was born so I could repurpose them for one of the kids. However, they are all knits. I have no idea what I was thinking. I have this plastic bin full of fabric that intimidates me to no end. I hid it on a shelf in the basement to no avail. I swear it is laughing at me :)
The other day I decided to not be afraid any longer, so I opened that bin and just chose one of the shirts hoping to turn it in to something new. Just look at this beautiful before picture. I have no idea what I was thinking when I bought this. After all, bold horizontal stripes look just great when nine months pregnant :)
The pattern for the shirt is from this Japanese pattern book:
I cut the pattern in a size 100 which ended up being too big when made from a knit. A size 90 with some extra length would have been a much better choice (mistake #1). My second mistake was choosing to use a thin knit in the first place. As I was sewing, I realized it doesn't hold it's shape at all when cut, so the neckline ended up being much bigger than it should have been. Then I tried to salvage the too large neckline by using the original hood binding (mistake #3). The pattern calls for a bias binding closure around the neckline which probably would have laid much better. The best thing I did was salvage the existing shirt hem and the sleeve cuffs just to make it easier on myself.
Once I chose to change the neckline, I had to modify the back closure as well. I love how this looks, but I don't know how it will hold up since I didn't use any stabilizer for the button holes (mistake #4) since the closure was really more of an afterthought rather than a planned detail.
Please ignore the pantless diaper look!
Overall, I love this pattern. And I'm no longer afraid of knits :) But now I'm absolutely terrified of bindings, pattern sizing and button holes! Oh well. You win some and you lose some.
This shirt might have been full of small failures, but I still ended up with a finished product. And Mae will wear it once she actually grows into it a bit more!